The weather is starting to warm up, so that means it’s time to start thinking about vacation destinations. The Haliburton Highlands is a popular destination for nature lovers to escape for a weekend. Spend the weekend hiking at Haliburton Forest and then stop for a drink at Haliburton Highlands Brewing. End your days surrounded by nature when you stay with Sir Sam’s Inn and Spa. This tranquil resort is the perfect place to unwind after your days of explorations. There are so many fun things to do in Ontario, here are just a few!
Escape to Nature
- Abbey Gardens: The site features food shopping, interpretive trails, heritage breed displays, educational programs, and gardens. So stop by and shop for locally grown food or explore the 300 acres of this green space.
- Haliburton Forest and Wildlife Reserve: There are 400 kilometres of hiking trails in the Haliburton Forest. Walk under the canopy of trees and stop by one of the endless lakes here. Download an interactive trail map before you leave to find the best trails.
- A Walk in the Clouds: Witness the majesty of the Haliburton Forest from a suspended boardwalk with an expert guide. This canopy tour takes you over red oaks, American ash, American beech, and more old-growth trees. This tour also features hiking and canoeing, for a diverse way to experience the Haliburton Forest.
Experience Local Art & History
- The Haliburton Sculpture Forest is a collection of sculptures by Canadian and international artists located in Glebe Park. You can see over 30 unique sculptures while walking the wooded trails. Download the Pocketsights app on your smartphone for guided navigation of the sculpture forest.
- Hawk Log Chute is a historic site developed in 1929 to carry logs over the river to the sawmill. Step into the past and learn about the long history of logging in Ontario. Explore the connecting trails and reach the Heritage Gardens. This garden pays homage to the past with a collection of plants native to the area.
Delicious Food & Drinks
- Twin Fires: Sir Sam’s Inn’s on-site restaurant, Twin Fires, offers various appetizers, salads, entrees, and desserts. End your day exploring the Haliburton Highlands with a dinner of blackberry and ginger salmon. Pair it with one of the wines from our unique wine cellar.
- Haliburton Highlands Brewing: This is the best place for a drink in the Highlands. We would recommend trying the honey brown ale, which is made from the best locally sourced honey. Sample local flavors and relax on the outside patio.
Stunning Views & Luxury Lodging at Sir Sam’s Inn
Start each day at Sir Sam’s Inn, the best luxury resort in Ontario. After a day of walking through the Haliburton Sculpture Forest, return to our Twin Fires restaurant for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Choose to stay in a cozy room, lakeside suite, or private cottage. Our amenities include fireplaces, balconies, patios, and spa tubs. Best of all, we have a spa right at the resort for massages and body treatments. If you have any questions about amenities or things to do, please don’t hesitate to call us at 806-361-2188.